Assaliamu aleikum Ladies!
There will be different topics on our blog. Not necessarily fashion related, but for sure deen related as Islam is present in all aspects of our life.
One of my passions is the prophetic medicine or as they call it holistic or alternative therapy. How did I come to this? I had an allergy of unknown type for last 2 years and no doctor was able to diagnose it. Subhanallah this brought me closer to the sunnah of Allah in terms of healing with tibb an-nabawi and ruqya, alhamdouliallah ala kulli haal.
Unlike conventional medicine, holistic therapy does not concentrate solely on the physical body. It views the human being as a combination of five "bodies":
- physical body: muscle and bone, organs, etc.
- biochemical body: chemical compounds and chemical reactions inside organs, incl. nutrition, enzymes, hormones.
- intellectual body: one's mind, driving force of human action and behavior; also involves subconscious mind.
- emotional body: ones feelings and interaction with other human beings,
- spiritual body: the soul or the ROOH. This is the part we neglect in our daily routine This is the body which connects us with Almighty Creator and which acquires its driving energy directly fro this sacred connection.
This subject is so broad but with this post I want to highlight basic healthy sunnah routine for the day that will help to gain rewards hasanat and at the same time benefit your health. The wellbeing of the whole person - emotionally, physically, spiritually and mentally - is necessary for the beliver to participate fully in life, fulfilling her duty towards Alllah and society.
This is a basic list to start with your sunnah routine and in sha allah you will love it and research more on your own to add to the list.
1. 5 daily salah (separate post on health benefits of prayer to follow) and wudhoo. Do you know it has health benefits as well? Let us look closely on ablution here.
- Rinsing the month: modern science has proved that rinsing the mouth protects the gums against ulcers. Another very important benefit (ATTENTION LADIES) is that is strengthens some of the muscles of the face and keeps the face looking fresh and radiant. It is an important exercise, which is known to those who socialize in physical training.
- Rinsing the nose: it goes without saying - nostrils are among the places in which many germs collect. Clean nose all the time is free of infections. - Washing the face and hands: Scientific research has proved that the circulation in the upper parts of the body, the hands and arms, and in the lower parts, the feet and legs, is weaker that in other parts because they are further away from the control center of the circulation system, namely the heart. Hence washing hands and feet and rubbing them carefully strengthen circulation, which increases the energy and vitality of the body.
- Washing the feet: leads to feeling tranquil. This is one of the secrets of the overwhelming feeling of calm that envelops the Muslim after the Wudhoo is properly done.
2. Right after salah take 7 ajwa dates and drink a glass of warm water with 2 tablespoons of honey diluted in it.
Dates will give you all the necessary vitamins (I don't take any supplements and treated anemia in just in 1 month!!! of taking dates) and diluted honey is close to the plasma of your blood e.g. such honey water can lower the concentration of prostaglandins in your plasma which means in simple words - anti-inflammatory effect for your body and organs.
As it may be boring for some to eat dates just like this every day here is healthy sweet recipe.
Pop in a food processor:
1 cup pitted dates
1/2 cup goji berries
1/2 cup sunflower seeds (zinc so good for ladies)
1/2 cup almonds (extra iron)
1/3 cup sesame seeds or black seed*
2 tbs carob powder 1 tbs cacao nibs
1 tbs ginger powder
3 tbs coconut flower for coating
Grind all the ingredients thoroughly until sticky and roll your super healthy treat :) Coat these sweets in the coconut flower. Put in a freezer for an hour, store in a fridge in an air-tight container.
3. Do not overlook using miswak/siwak. It is sunnah to use it at least 5 times a day e.g. before every salah. A detailed post on miswak to follow.
"The Siwak is purifying the month and pleasing to the Lord". (Narrated by Ahmad and Ibn Majah; Saheeh). It has been proved that it efficiently reduces sugar levels and has an anti-cancer effect! Overall your oral health is more important than you might realize. Your oral health might affect, be affected by, or contribute to various diseases and conditions, including: Endocarditis (an infection of the inner lining of your heart), Cardiovascular disease, pregnancy and birth, Diabetes, Osteoporosis (weak bones), Alzheimer's disease and other.
4. When going to sleep, dust your bed.
5. Do ruqya for yourself. "A’oodhu bi kalimaat Allaah al-taammah min kulli shaytaanin wa haammah wa min kulli ‘aynin laammah" [I seek refuge in the perfect words of Allah, from every devil and every poisonous reptile, and from every evil eye] (Sahih Bukhari, 3120)
The scholars also recommend reciting (with Eeman & Tawakkul) al-Mu‘awwidhatayn 3 times each (i.e Surah Falaq & Nas) and to you’re your body whilst reciting. Or to recite the Surahs into one’s hands and blowing in them while spitting (v.lightly), then wiping your hands over the body.
Reciting Surah Al-Fatiha, Ayat Al-Kursi (surah 2:255) is also part of Ruqya.
Other protective measures from the Sunnah that we should be implementing to make our homes a believer's fortress, is to say BISMILLAH before going out & entering the house; teach yourself the sunnah of reading the DUA before entering toilet seeking refuge from the jinns & to avoid ruins/unclean places (garbage dumps etc). In this age of social media, scholars warn us against posting our private family affairs, especially our children's photos out to the public eye. Not just against sick-minded predators, also against a source of evil eye & jealousy. The onus is on us. Let us 'tie our camels' and insha Allah, our precious sprouts & families will always be under Allah's special Rahmah. Ameen.
6. Sleep on your right side and making dua an-noum & dua when waking up.
The Prophet SAWS (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to sleep on his right side, putting his right hand on his right cheek, and this is what the Prophet SAWS (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) recommended others to do. According to a saheeh hadeeth narrated from al-Baraa’ ibn ‘Aazib, the Prophet SAWS (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “When you go to bed, do wudoo’ as if for prayer, then lie down on your right side…” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, al-Wudoo’, 239). It was narrated that Hudhayfah (may Allaah be pleased with him) said, “When the Prophet SAWS (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) went to bed at night, he would put his hand under his cheek, then say, ‘Allaahumma bismika amootu wa ahyaa (O Allaah, in Your name I die and I live).’ Then when he woke up he would say, ‘Al-hamdu Lillaah alladhi ahyaanaa ba’da ma amaatanaa wa ilayhi al-nushoor (Praise be to Allaah who has brought us back to life after causing us to die, and to Him is the resurrection).’” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 6314). Ibn Hajar said: The right side is singled out for a number of reasons, such as: this lets a person wake up more quickly; it also allows the heart to lean towards the right hand side. Ibn al-Jawzi said: the doctors have stated that this position is more beneficial to the body. They said to start by lying on the right for a while, then turn over to the left, because the former aids peristalsis and sleeping on one’s left side facilitates digestion.
7. The last but not least rule is "no harm". Hippocrates applied this golden rule in treating all his patients, "Premium non nocere", which translates as "Above all, do no harm". This is the same rule applied in Prophetic medicine as in hadith by Imam Mailk and Ahmed (Albani graded it as "good") that Prophet peace be upon him said "No harm and no reciprocating harm". Thus no tobacco use, no passive smoking, no alcohol, no drug usage should be found in a life of a believer.